Uche Ogbodo wedding debate intensifies as the actress rejects a fan’s claim that she financed her marriage and asks him to respect her ex-husband
Nollywood actress Uche Ogbodo on Friday, August 21, 2026, responded to a fan on social media after the fan linked her recent comments about women as providers in marriage to a claim that she personally financed her wedding.
Ogbodo made the clarification in her comment section after an interview with Deacon Famous in which she discussed relationships, financial responsibilities and her experience of being married to a younger man.
During the interview, Ogbodo said she believed women were increasingly taking on the role of providers in relationships. She also reflected on the age difference between herself and her former husband, saying people had at times mistaken her for his mother.
“In this generation, statistically, I think women are more of providers,” Ogbodo said during the interview.
She further argued that men could be emotionally self-centred in relationships and said she believed romantic feelings could change over time.
The comments quickly drew reactions from social media users, with one fan interpreting Ogbodo’s remarks through the lens of her own marriage.
The fan suggested that the actress was speaking from personal experience because, in the fan’s view, she had sponsored her own marriage to a younger man.
“Of course you won’t blame a woman who sponsored her own marriage with a younger man for saying women are more providers in this generation,” the fan wrote, while cautioning Ogbodo against generalising from her personal experience.
Ogbodo rejected the claim and moved to clarify what she described as a misconception about how her wedding was financed.
“Uncle, I never sponsored my marriage! Last thing I would ever do till I kpai! Respect my ex-husband; he did his thing,” the actress responded.
Her response was notable for the emphasis she placed on her former husband, whom she urged the fan to acknowledge rather than attributing the financial responsibility for the marriage to her.
The exchange adds another layer to the conversation sparked by Ogbodo’s interview, which centred largely on changing expectations around men and women in relationships.
The actress had spoken candidly about the scrutiny she faced over her relationship with a younger partner, particularly comments from people who assumed she was his mother because of their age difference.
Her remarks also touched on her broader view of modern relationships.
Rather than presenting her experience as a universal rule, Ogbodo’s comments reflected her personal perspective on the financial and emotional pressures she believes women increasingly carry within relationships.
The latest clarification comes amid continuing public interest in Ogbodo’s personal life and relationship history.
She has previously discussed her experiences in relationships and family life, while her public appearances and social media posts have often attracted considerable attention.
The actress’s decision to correct the wedding claim also highlights the sensitivity surrounding assumptions about who financially supports a marriage, particularly when discussions involve age differences and the changing expectations placed on Nigerian couples.
For Ogbodo, however, the immediate issue was straightforward: she wanted the record corrected and her former husband’s contribution to the marriage recognised.
The exchange has since added a fresh dimension to the conversation surrounding her remarks about women as providers, with the actress making clear that her views should not be used as evidence for an unverified claim about who funded her wedding.
Related